Order would trigger immediately error

Q: I’m trying to place an order, but why received an error:

{
    "code": -2010,
    "msg": "Order would trigger immediately."
}

In simple word, as its said, the order can be matched/triggered immediately, but based on the order type, it should NOT.

This normally happens in some order types, we will give details for:

• STOP_LOSS_LIMIT
  • TAKE_PROFIT_LIMIT (similar to STOP_LOSS_LIMIT)
  • LIMIT_MAKER

Let’s say we have this current market:

• symbol: BNBUSDT
  • best ask price: 20
  • best bid price: 19

1. STOP_LOSS_LIMIT

Alice want to place an stop loss limit order with these parameters:

• side: SELL
  • stopPrice: 22
  • price: 17
  • timeInForce: GTC
  • quantity: 1
  • type: STOP_LOSS_LIMIT

She will see this error, Order would trigger immediately. as the stopPrice > best bid price.

Reduce the stopPrice to below the best bid price, e.g.

• stopPrice: 15

Then the order will be placed successfully with a trigger condition of price <= 15. When price touch 15, one limit SELL order price = 17 will be placed.

1. LIMIT_MAKER

this is easier to understand. Many traders wish to be the market maker in trading, one of the main reasons is its lower trading fee. But there is a risk when the order received by the matching system, the market price reaches to be able to fill this order. Then it will be consider as taker, but not maker.

To avoid that, set order type to LIMIT_MAKER to guarantee to be an open order in the market. otherwise the order will be reject with this similar error.

{
    "code": -2010,
    "msg": "Order would immediately match and take."
}
1 Like

Hi, we have received today the same error for the order with type ‘STOP_MARKET’. I was under impression that STOP MARKET order should still be created even if stopPrice does not qualify based on the market conditions b/c the order type is MARKET essentially. I thought Binance would just open the order based on the market price at that moment. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
How should I go about this situation and handle it accordingly?
Thanks!.

I think this is for futures product, to place a STOP_MARKET order, it has to follow the rule:

Hope this will be helpful.

https://binance-docs.github.io/apidocs/futures/en/#new-order-trade